Smoldering Wick

Greetings,

I started this blog as a means to a particular end, though it certainly may expand or divert from its original purpose and like most blogs it is likely to slip into the oblivion of unvisited and forgotten websites. As I began writing material for meditations and talks at our parish in the past few weeks, I figured that someone outside the community of our country parish may care to read my words, perhaps not, but thus the blog.

As to the name: I grew up in a United Methodist congregation but really had my first adult 'conversion' in college while attending Cement City Baptist and listening to the powerful preaching of Pastor Drew Woods. He was preaching through the book of Isaiah at that time and this passage greatly impressed me.


"Thus says the LORD: 
Here is my servant whom I uphold,
my chosen one with whom I am pleased,
upon whom I have put my spirit;
he shall bring forth justice to the nations,
not crying out, not shouting,
not making his voice heard in the street.
A bruised reed he shall not break,
and a smoldering wick he shall not quench,
until he establishes justice on the earth;
the coastlands will wait for his teaching."
Isaiah 42:1-4

I think what impressed me about this passage, which comes from one of the "Suffering Servant Songs" of Isaiah and in Christian interpretation accordingly refers to Christ, is the care that the Messiah will take with those in humble states. I still remember Pastor Drew emphasizing those two lines so weightily, his voice filled with the gravitas of someone who had spent his life spreading the Gospel to bruised reeds and smoldering wicks. He had done everything in his power to keep those weeks aflame if only faintly: preaching, praying, working and pleading that people accept the Gospel and find in Christ the balm that they were (perhaps unwittingly) looking for. At that point in my life, in a number of ways I felt like a smoldering wick and took great comfort in this beautiful imagery of God's tender mercy and steadfast protection and love.

As I've moved on from Cement City Baptist and on to the Catholic Church, the images of Pastor Drew preaching have remained closely guarded in my memory and in my heart. And in times of darkness and tribulation I will always remember his joy-filled voice proclaiming those words: "A bruised reed he shall not break, and a smoldering wick he shall not quench." At times my faith feels as though it amounts to little more than a bruised reed, at the point of breaking in a stiff enough breeze, or like a smoldering wick, smoking and graying around the edges and almost completely void of flame. But praised be the Lord for his unrelenting mercy and kindness.

I hope that these thoughts and meditations are of some help to those hearing them and reading them here. I covet your prayers that they be of some use especially to the youth of our parish who are their principal recipients. 

Yours in Christ our hope,

CJH

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Die Before You Die

Chris Hurtubise: Fashion Icon -- Or, Some Thoughts on Ordinary Time

The Week of the Sickies: Some thoughts on an integrated life